findmissingkids.com Forum Index
Message Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Jeremy Grice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    findmissingkids.com Forum Index -> More Missing Children Forums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Jeremy Grice Reply with quote

Jeremy resided in a mobile home on Russell Hill in the Bath area of North Augusta, South Carolina in 1985. He lived with his mother and stepfather at the time. A neighbor saw Jeremy standing by the mailbox outside of his family's home near their mailbox at approximately 8:45 p.m. on November 21. He appeared be waiting for the school bus, but he did not have school that day.

Jeremy's mother checked on him at approximately 10:00 a.m. She discovered he had disappeared and notified authorities. The weather on the day he disappeared was described as cold and rainy. Extensive air and ground searches were unsuccessful. Investigators also drained two local ponds in an effort to uncover evidence as to Jeremy's whereabouts, but nothing was located. Authorities believe that Jeremy was abducted by a non-family member. His case remains unsolved.

Child serial killer William Ernest Downs was questioned in Jeremy's case and also in the case of Tiffany Nelson, a nine-year-old girl who disappeared from Augusta, Georgia in June 1994. Her remains were found in June 2005. He denies knowledge of both cases. Downs would have been a teenager at the time Jeremy disappeared. He has never been charged in connection with either Jeremy's disappearance or Nelson's murder and authorities are uncertain whether he was involved.

Jeremy's family believes he was abducted by someone from the local neighborhood and did not wander away from home. They stated he enjoyed riding his four-wheeler in 1985. His case remains unsolved.

SOURCE: http://www.charleyproject.org
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Missing Kids Mysteries: Jeremy Grice Reply with quote

Missing Kids Mysteries: Jeremy Grice

WIS News 10
By Angie Goff
May 17, 2005

(Aiken) May 17, 2005 - They say time heals, but as the days go by, the pain doesn't get any better for two Aiken parents. Donna Smith and Ray Grice have spent the last twenty years searching for their son.

Donna still can't believe her son has been gone so long, "I would have never believed that it would have lasted this long. I'm waiting for him to come home."

One morning in 1985, Smith awoke to find her son Jeremy missing from their Aiken County home, "It drives you crazy and you think about it everyday and you wonder, who or why or who took him, why they had taken him. I just don't know."

The morning Jeremy was discovered missing, it was cold and raining. A neighbor reported seeing the boy standing where a mailbox once stood next to Jeremy's house. The neighbor said the boy appeared to be barefoot and waiting for a bus. The odd thing is, Jeremy didn't have school that day.

Ray believes the answers are in that neighborhood, "I feel somebody deliberately took him, whether it was that morning, the evening before, whatever, I don't feel that he wandered off."

Captain Wallace Owens of the Aiken County Sheriff's Department says hundreds of volunteers searched the woods and lakes around the area, but found no sign of the little boy, "We know he did not just vanish into thin air."

Owens is the lead investigator in the case. He says they're short on clues and there's never been a crime scene or a suspect, "I think you'd be na´ve if you didn't think some type of foul play wasn't involved in it, because he would be old enough now to move around on his own."

Jeremy would have turned 24 this month. His mother still pictures him as a four-year-old, "He loved to ride his four wheeler and he'd put on his football helmet and ride it. That was one of my fondest memories of him."

Now she can see her son as a young man in an age-progressed photo, "I hope through this and by his picture, maybe he'll remember himself and remember us, remember his family and we still love him and we're looking for him and we always will, till we find him."

It's already been a long and fruitless search. Over the years, hundreds of leads on the case have come in, but none have panned out. A psychic said in 1995 that dive teams would find the boy's remains in a pond. The search turned up nothing.

Owens says a decade later, investigators aren't any closer to solving the case, "I think it's gonna be real hard and the reason I say that, just being realistic, is that so much time has went by in this case."

Ray says through all the discouraging days, months and years, the grieving family continues to look to the future, "I believe he's alive somewhere. He may not even be in the country, but I believe he's alive somewhere." Donna remains convinced her son will come home one day, "It's gonna be a glorious day. It's gonna be really wonderful. It's gonna be a miracle. God is gonna show us a miracle when he comes home."

The whole family came together when News 10 met for the interview in Aiken. Jeremy's sister, his Nana, his aunts and uncles were all there. The parents are just hoping that maybe by telling their story, even 20 years later, someone will remember something and come forward to help find their son.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Police question slaying suspect Reply with quote

Police question slaying suspect
Public Safety director ready to believe Downs' claim that he killed only two boys

By Greg Rickabaugh
Augusta Chronicle Staff Writer
April 30, 1999

William Ernest Downs says his list of victims stopped at two.

Police aren't taking his word on it, but North Augusta Public Safety Director Lee Wetherington is inclined to believe the murder suspect after long discussions with him.

Police said Mr. Downs, 31, has confessed to sexually assaulting and strangling two boys: 10-year-old James Porter in March 1991 and 6-year-old Keenan O'Mailia on April 17.

``I would be surprised if there were more,'' Chief Wetherington said. ``He's been pretty up-front with us. If there were more, I don't know why he wouldn't have told us.''

Investigators are busy checking his background, corroborating his statements and thumbing through files of suspicious child deaths or missing children across South Carolina and Georgia. Specifically, investigators have questioned Mr. Downs on six children who are either missing or dead, the chief said.

Because Mr. Downs could face the death penalty in two states and has refused a lawyer until Thursday, investigators can't see a motive for him to remain quiet about other victims.

Tiffany Nelson and Jeremy Grice were two of the children Mr. Downs was questioned about.

Tiffany, 9, was last seen on June 6, 1994, riding her red 10-speed bicycle on Richmond Hill Road at Lumpkin Road in Augusta. Authorities never found her body or her bicycle.

Richmond County detectives interviewing Mr. Downs about James' death threw out Tiffany's name, according to Chief Deputy Ronald Strength.

``We brought up the name, and he didn't know what we were talking about,'' Chief Strength said. ``We don't even know if he was in the Augusta area.''

Then there is Jeremy Grice of Bath.

Jeremy was a sweet-faced, blond 4-year-old, who disappeared while waiting in front of his home for the school bus in November 1985. Mr. Downs would have been 17 at the time. He told police he didn't know about the case.

Authorities say they also asked Mr. Downs about child missing from Greenwood, S.C. The Web site for the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children lists just one missing child from Greenwood: Malakia Zali Logan.

The South Carolina chapter of the organization has been keeping up with the investigation of Mr. Downs, offering North Augusta any of their resources and checking their files for cases with possible connections to Mr. Downs.

As detectives with North Augusta, Richmond County and South Carolina's State Law Enforcement Division worked feverishly Thursday to retrace Mr. Downs' adult life, the murder suspect spent his first full day at the Aiken County Detention Center.

On Thursday, he accepted a court-appointed attorney, Wallis Alves, who was selected by the Aiken County Public Defender's Office.

Mr. Downs is expected to appear before a Circuit Court judge as early as Monday for arraignment on charges in Keenan's killing. The boy's body was found in a wooded area near North Augusta's Georgetown Villas, where he lived with his mother, Nina O'Mailia.

Warrants have also been issued in Richmond County charging Mr. Downs with aggravated child molestation and James' slaying.

James' mother, Kathy Porter, reacted angrily to the arrest, saying the announcement confirmed her beliefs that her son did not drown. She accused the police of ignoring her requests to keep the investigation open.

On Thursday, Richmond County Coroner Leroy Sims, who filed an autopsy report from the Georgia Crime Lab calling the death an accidental drowning in 1991, defended the report and the work of lead Detective Jim Gordon, formerly with the Augusta Police Department.

James' family reported the boy missing March 14, 1991. A fisherman discovered his body hung up in the bushes and tree limbs of the Savannah River on May 17, 1991.

The boy's face was unrecognizable and pathologists couldn't obtain a fingerprint, requiring dental records to identify the body as James.

``A body that's been in the river for two months is really decomposed,'' Mr. Sims said. ``If that person is strangled and the body's been in the river for two months, there is no way you can tell the person was suffocated or strangled. We did the only thing we could do.''

With no other information to go on, the case was ruled a drowning.

Mr. Sims had 25 years experience in the homicide division of the Augusta Police Department before retiring. He has been a medical examiner for more than a decade.

Detective Gordon, who investigated the case, works with the violent crime division of the Richmond County Sheriff's Department. He has chosen not to comment on the original investigation, according to Chief Deputy Strength.

But Chief Deputy Strength said he looked at the case file and found no mention of Mr. Downs' name by the Porter family. He defended Detective Gordon as a competent and thorough investigator
gagbry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why is that he didn't have school important in this case? what child goes to school @ 8:45p anyway?
what i don't understand, it was obviously cold. who had this child the night he disappeared? why was he outside so late when time gets dark early during this time of year & w/no shoes or possibly no shirt for that matter? either, who was watching this child didn't care about him or they weren't doing a good job of sitting w/him too well.
this case has always baffled me! i am the same age jeremy would be if he were alive today or found-whichever it may be & i just can't imagine being a parent now of 2 boys myself, the never knowing part or any other part of this story for that matter. i know both the mom & step dad were questioned a good bit in this case, & i know other details to that, but it just seems this has been put on the back burner as most cases are when they go cold. maybe reinterviewing people may jar another memory of that day...something their memory has been blocking until now. Idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    findmissingkids.com Forum Index -> More Missing Children Forums All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: