Forum Index
Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Quatisha Maycock

Post new topic   Reply to topic Forum Index -> More Murdered Children Forums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Site Admin

Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 2147

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Quatisha Maycock Reply with quote


Rick Jervis and Sandra Marquez
The Miami Herald
November 8, 1998

She just wanted to be friends. He wanted more.

The dispute erupted into criminal kidnapping at midnight Friday, when police say Harrel Franklin Braddy, a former convict released early after serving 13 years for attempting to kill a former girlfriend, forced Shandelle Maycock and her 5-year-old daughter Quatisha from their north Miami-Dade apartment into his rented Lincoln Town Car.

By late Saturday, Maycock, 22, was in a hospital, Braddy, 49, was being questioned by police -- and Quatisha was still missing.

Police say they suspect Braddy, who met Maycock six months ago at a church group, drove the mother and daughter north. When Maycock tried to escape, he beat her, choked her, locked her in the trunk, then dumped her for dead at a wooded area near the Broward-Palm Beach County line, Miami-Dade Police spokesman Ed Munn said.

Braddy then sped off with the girl, Munn said.

Maycock, dazed and badly beaten, was found about 10:30 a.m. Saturday by a driver.

Braddy was found at his Opa-locka home and taken in for questioning.

Child missing

Quatisha remained missing late Saturday.

"He wanted more and she [Maycock] didn't. She asked him to leave. That's when he forced her into the car,'' Munn said. ``Based on his criminal record, we're extremely concerned about the child. Our top priority right now is finding her.''

Maycock and Quatisha had moved into a one-bedroom annex to the house at 19600 NW Fifth Pl., about a week ago, said David Lawyer, the owner of the house.

Maycock is a secretary, quiet and friendly, who gets home late and leaves early. Quatisha is a cute, smiling girl who clings to her mom's skirt, Lawyer said.

Braddy visited the home two or three times with Maycock, picking her up or dropping her off, always charming and friendly, Lawyer said.

"I thought he was a super-nice guy,'' Lawyer said. ``We had such good conversations between the three of us, I was about to invite him to dinner.''

At about midnight Friday, Braddy paid another visit to Maycock. She told him the relationship should remain friendly, Munn said.

Refused to leave

When Maycock said he should leave because her boyfriend was coming, he refused. Then he punched her several times in the face and dragged her into the gold Lincoln Town Car he had rented from Enterprise Rent-A-Car, police said.

That night, Lawyer had returned from a friend's wedding when he heard loud voices coming from the front of the home, where Maycock lived. He looked out his window and saw Braddy and Quatisha standing by the Town Car.

"They looked real calm. I didn't think anything was wrong,'' he said.

But things were wrong.

After forcing them into the car, Braddy drove them toward Palm Beach County, police said.

When Maycock tried to escape, Braddy hit the brakes and came after her, choking her until she was nearly unconscious and locking her in the trunk, said Lt. Albert Harper of the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office.

Sometime in the early morning hours of Saturday, he dumped her in a wooded area off U.S. 27 in Broward County.

"I don't know if he thinks he killed her or what,'' Harper said.

After coming to, Maycock walked for an unknown amount of time, letting the sound of traffic guide her. By the time a motorist found her on the roadside and called police by cellular phone, she was two counties away from home.

She was taken to Glades General Hospital in West Palm Beach where she was listed in good condition.

"She was conscious but weak,'' said Harper, who rode with Maycock to the hospital. ``Her face was all swollen and she was bleeding from the head.''

Miami-Dade Police and Palm Beach County sheriff's deputies are scouring the tri-county area for the missing child.

Seemed like `good friends'

Lawyer, her landlord, said he was shocked to hear that Braddy was the main suspect of such a crime.

"They seemed like such good friends,'' he said. ``He was always trying to help her.''

What Lawyer didn't know was that Braddy has a past as a violence-prone criminal.

In 1984, he was convicted and sentenced to prison for the first-degree attempted murder of his girlfriend. A month into his prison time, he escaped by attempting to choke a courthouse jailer, taking his keys, locking him in a jail cell, then disarming two Broward County sheriff's deputies.

After a multi-state manhunt, Braddy was caught in rural Georgia and sentenced to 30 years in prison.

Last year, after serving 13 years, Braddy was released along with a wave of 300 other violent criminals who, under the state system, had earned an early release for ``gain time'' earned for good behavior.

Braddy had also served time for kidnapping, armed robbery and burglary.

"He's an extremely dangerous guy,'' Munn said.

Last edited by Admin on Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Site Admin

Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 2147

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Police comb fields for5-year-old girl Reply with quote


Jennifer Mathieu and Maria A. Morales
The Miami Herald
November 9, 1998

With dozens of police and tracking dogs on the ground and a helicopter with infrared sensors in the air, authorities searched Sunday for missing 5-year-old Quatisha Maycock in a desolate area of sugar-cane fields in Palm Beach County.

They didn't find her, but they held out hope that she may still be alive.

Harrel Franklin Braddy led police to the site - a few miles north of the Broward County line and east of U.S. 27 - where he told police he dumped Quatisha alive Saturday morning.

Hours earlier, he allegedly abducted the North Dade girl and her mother - whom he also allegedly beat, choked and dumped for dead near the sugar-cane fields where the search unfolded Sunday. Braddy, 49, was charged with kidnapping and attempted murder.

A swollen and still dazed 22-year-old Shandelle Maycock remained in stable condition at Glades General Hospital in Belle Glade in western Palm Beach County. The search for her daughter will resume at 6 a.m. today.

"If [Quatisha] is out there, she's probably scared, she's probably hiding,'' said Cmdr. Gary Frechette of the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office. "We hope that we find her alive, but the longer it takes, the harder it is.''

Area of wet fields

"Out there'' is a one-square-mile muddy field crisscrossed by many canals. In the vicinity are an orange crane and a water treatment plant under construction.

Though searchers said there are alligators in the area, they noted that the biggest threat to Quatisha may be the wet fields.

"When the fields are wet, it can be like quicksand,'' Frechette said.

The kidnapping occurred at midnight Friday, when Braddy - a former convict released early after serving 13 years for attempting to kill a former girlfriend - reportedly became upset because Maycock told him she didn't want a romantic relationship with him. The two met six months ago at a church group.

Report of abduction

Braddy allegedly forced Maycock and her 5-year-old from their home at 19600 NW Fifth Pl. in North Dade and into his rented Lincoln Town Car and drove north.

When the mother tried to escape, he beat her and locked her in the trunk before dumping her and taking off with Quatisha, a kindergartner at Parkway Elementary, police said.

"He's indicating he dropped [Quatisha] off alive in that same area Saturday morning,'' Miami-Dade Police spokesman Ed Munn said. "He said she was alive.''

Braddy returned to his Opa-locka home, where police arrested him as he was leaving in the rented car, Munn added.

A man who answered the phone at the Braddy Opa-locka home said his family did not want to comment.

"We can't talk about this right now, I'm sorry,'' he said.

Family hopeful

Quatisha's family, meanwhile, spent the day shuttling between the search site and Glades General Hospital.

"I'm hoping she's living,'' said Alma Caswell, Quatisha's great-grandmother. "I ain't giving up hope, I ain't giving up hope.''

Next to her, Quatisha's grandmother and aunt clung to one another and wept.

Stacey Maycock said Sunday her cousin, Shandelle Maycock, was covered with mosquito bites and drifted in and out of consciousness all day.

"I don't know if she is fully aware of what's going on,'' Stacey Maycock said. "Quatisha is a beautiful, smart, nice little kid. I'm devastated and I just want her to come home safe.''
Dogs aid search

In the distance, more than 75 law-enforcement officers from Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties combed the one-square-mile area, dividing it into grids. They brought in 10 dogs to help in the search.

Earlier in the day, they called out Quatisha's name, using bullhorns. The little girl did not answer.

By midafternoon, they set the dogs loose. Still, nothing.

After sundown, a helicopter went up. It found only darkness.

When police resume their search today, Quatisha's face will be seen on missing-child fliers across South Florida. The 4,000 fliers were distributed Sunday by the Jimmy Ryce Center and the law firm of Greenberg Traurig.

"We want her face to be all over the state,'' said Don Ryce, who along with his wife, Claudine, founded the center after their 9-year-old son Jimmy was abducted and killed in September 1995.

"I'm keeping my fingers crossed.''
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Site Admin

Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 2147

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Suspect's History: Violence, Escapes - and Early Release Reply with quote


Lori Rozsa
The Miami Herald
November 10, 1998

Harrel Franklin Braddy isn't such a bad man, if you ask Harrel Franklin Braddy.

"I don't feel like I'm a threat to society,'' Braddy once told a judge. "I don't consider myself a criminal.''

The judge sentenced Braddy to 30 years in prison anyway for choking a courthouse jailer. The prosecutor predicted he'd serve only 12 years for the attempted murder.

The prosecutor was right. Braddy served less than half his sentence, and was released early in the convict Class of '97 - 300 violent felons sprung from Florida prisons in March 1997 under the much-criticized gain-time program. ``Gain time'' meant early release - 20 days off for every month of good behavior - and was intended to relieve prison overcrowding.

Braddy, 49, has a history of escaping, kidnapping, and beating up police officers. He once overpowered two Broward County sheriff's deputies, took their guns and locked them in a bathroom. He also throttled a Miami-Dade corrections officer until the man passed out. And Sunday, he tried to escape from a Miami-Dade Police interview room by removing ceiling tiles when he was alone.

He is now charged with the kidnapping and attempted murder of Shandelle Maycock and the kidnapping of her 5-year-old daughter, Quatisha. Braddy may be charged with murder, Miami-Dade police spokesman Rudy Espinosa said.

Braddy is married, the father of two boys and two girls. He has three brothers - Irwin, Steven and Tyrone. They and his parents were all on his visiting list while he was in prison.

His father told The Palm Beach Post that Braddy showed up at his house Friday night, after the Maycocks were abducted, and watched a fishing show on ESPN.

Braddy was not a disruptive prisoner; he lost only 105 days of gain time in 12 years, due mostly to unspecified ``visiting violations,'' and once because he wasn't working hard enough at his prison job.

Another convict released the same time as Braddy was arrested earlier this year in Miami for murder. Michael Dwayne Seibert had served 10 years of a 30-year sentence for attempted murder. In 1986, Seibert beat a British tourist nearly to death. In April of this year, little more than a month after his release from prison, police say he killed a Southridge High School student in his Collins Avenue apartment, mutilated her and left her body in the bathroom.

Braddy pleaded guilty in 1985 to attempted murder of the courthouse officer. Braddy was in the courthouse on another attempted murder charge, that of his girlfriend, June Wallace. Police say Braddy shot her and left her for dead. She survived.
A pair of escapes

After his arrest on that crime in August 1984, Braddy caused a sensation when he beat up the jail guard, was caught again, and then pulled off two improbable escapes from Broward deputies within three days.

The first incident happened in Dade County. Braddy had just been denied bail on the charge of attempting to murder his girlfriend. On the way to a holding cell, Braddy, 6 feet tall, 200 pounds, overpowered Officer Jose Bermudez. He beat Bermudez, choked him with a belt until he lost consciousness, and locked him in the cell.

Eleven days later, Braddy was arrested in Hollywood for breaking into an electronics store, and a police dog bit him. The officers took him to Memorial Hospital in Hollywood for treatment of the dog-bite wounds. Braddy attacked the officers watching him, bolted from the emergency room and escaped, authorities said.

Broward deputies recaptured him three days later, again with the help of a biting police dog. Back in the hospital, Braddy asked a deputy to unlock his bed chains so he could use the bathroom. Braddy then lunged at the officer and grabbed his .357 magnum revolver. Another officer came in, and Braddy got his gun, too, and herded both officers into the bathroom. He ripped the intravenous needles from his arms and fled, police said.
Hiding in closet

He wound up in an affluent Hollywood Hills neighborhood, where he broke into the home of an elderly couple and hid in a bedroom closet for six hours. When Lorraine Cole heard scratching noises coming from the closet and called her husband, Braddy jumped out with a gun. He said he just wanted to get away. Police said he stole the couple's station wagon.

A multistate manhunt was launched, and police warned that Braddy was armed and dangerous.

A few days later, police said Braddy robbed the 22-year-old son of a preacher in Hialeah and stole a white Cadillac.

On Oct. 14, 1984, Georgia police pulled him over in the Cadillac because the car had a stolen tag. Braddy almost got away again - he had a fake driver's license, and had memorized everything but the date of birth. That's what alerted the officers. They arrested him, and found the Broward officer's service revolver on the floor of the car.
Explanation in court

After pleading guilty to trying to kill the jail guard - the charge of attempted murder of his girlfriend was dropped - Braddy told Dade Circuit Judge Edward Cowart that things could have been worse. After all, he didn't use the gun on the Georgia officers.

"I did not attempt to do anything,'' Braddy said. "He didn't know who I was.''

Braddy, who said he grew up in Liberty City, was a construction worker before he allegedly shot his girlfriend. He told Cowart he was a foreman who never got fired from a job.

"I'm not a mass murderer,'' Braddy said. "My intention was not to get myself killed, to hurt anyone.''


Braddy, 49, was in the Class of '97 convicts - 300 felons who were released early under the state's gain time program. Gain time allows prisoners to shave time off their sentences because of good behavior.

Braddy pleaded guilty in 1985 to attempted murder of a Miami-Dade court officer. Braddy was in court on another attempted murder charge, that of his girlfriend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Site Admin

Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 2147

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Kidnapped Girl is Dead, Fisherman Find Body Reply with quote


Paul Brinkley-Rogers, Jennifer Mathieu and Gail Epstein
The Miami Herald
November 10, 1998

What at first looked like a pajama-clad doll, found floating face up Monday in the murky water of an Everglades canal, was identified as the body of 5-year-old Quatisha Maycock, the little girl kidnapped with her mother from their Miami-Dade home Friday, police said.

Two fishermen from Miami made the somber discovery on Alligator Alley about 41/2 miles west of the Interstate 75 toll booth - about 15 miles from where officers had focused their search. Police said the girl died of blunt trauma, apparently suffered when her mother, holding her, jumped from the moving car of alleged kidnapper Harrel Franklin Braddy.

"We just saw a body lying in the water,'' Willie Turner, one of the fishermen, told reporters. "I couldn't recognize what it was until I got up on it. It looked more like a doll at first.''

Miami-Dade Police were weighing whether to file a murder charge against ex-convict Braddy, 49, who was arrested Saturday and allegedly confessed to abducting Quatisha and her mother, secretary Shandelle Maycock, 22. Homicide detectives said Braddy became enraged when Maycock told him she did not want a romantic relationship.

A motorist found Maycock severely beaten and disoriented Saturday just over the Broward-Palm Beach county line at U.S. 27. She was released Monday from Glades General Hospital in West Palm Beach, still suffering physical and emotional scars from the trauma, her brother said.

"The whole right side of her face is white and [infected],'' Michael Washington said. "Her neck has choke marks. She has a lot of mosquito bites. She still feels real weak.''

Later, she was hospitalized after collapsing during police questioning. She was taken to Palmetto General's emergency room Miami-Dade Police headquarters after complaining of chest pains and difficulty breathing. She was listed in stable condition.

Washington said his sister was still shocked and confused - especially because she knew Braddy socially through their church. Police did not identify the church.

"From the way Shandelle explained it to me, she said she never expected he was that kind of man,'' Washington said. "He was in with the church, he was helping our people, that kind of stuff.''

Braddy is a career criminal and escape artist. In 1984, he was convicted and sentenced to prison for the attempted murder of his girlfriend. A month into his term, he escaped by attempting to choke a courthouse jailer and disarming two Broward sheriff's deputies.

Braddy was caught and sentenced to 30 years in prison. Last year, after serving 13 years, he was released along with a wave of 300 other violent criminals who, under the state system, had won early release for ``gain time'' earned for good behavior.

He also has served time for kidnapping, armed robbery and burglary.

"He was trying to make a change,'' said a man at the Braddy family's Carol City home, declining to give his name. "The family is devastated, but we have faith in God.''

At the crime scene Monday, while awaiting autopsy results, Broward Sheriff Ken Jenne consoled about a dozen relatives of Quatisha who hoped against hope that the little body found clad in white pajamas adorned with blue bears was not hers.

The victims' relatives and friends were "holding up real well,'' Jenne said. "I don't think it has hit them yet that this has occurred. They are dazed and confused. But they are giving support to each other. They seem to be a very strong family.''

Later, after an autopsy and review of medical records, Broward Medical Examiner Dr. Joshua Perper ruled Quatisha's death a homicide.

Her body, its location marked by an orange plastic buoy, was found on the south side of the canal that parallels the expressway near a tall stand of sawgrass.

Jenne said since prevailing winds had been from the east since Quatisha disappeared, it was likely the child's body had drifted to the place where it was discovered from a paved recreation area on the south side of I-75, 11/2 miles to the east.

Monday's discovery was the tragic culmination of a friendship soured by jealousy, police said.

The couple met six months ago and went out two or three times, said Maycock's landlord, David Lawyer.

But when Maycock let Braddy know late Friday that she planned on remaining just friends, he punched her several times in the face, choked her into unconsciousness, and dragged her and Quatisha into his rented gold Lincoln Town Car, police said.

Braddy drove north from Maycock's home. The exact chain of events was still being pieced together, but investigators said Maycock eventually regained consciousness and jumped from his car while holding her child, a kindergartner at Parkway Elementary.

An angered Braddy stopped his car, grabbed Maycock and threw her into the trunk, police said. He put Quatisha in the car and continued driving north.

Soon, Braddy apparently let Maycock out of the trunk on the east side of U.S. 27 just over the Broward-Palm Beach county line, police said. He drove off with Quatisha.

Early Saturday, a barefoot, beaten Maycock struggled to the roadside where a motorist found her and called police. Braddy, who had returned to his Opa-locka home, was later arrested. Police charged him with kidnapping and attempted murder.

On Sunday, he took investigators to the area where Maycock was found, claiming he had left her daughter alive nearby in a muddy sugar cane field about three miles off U.S. 27.

Detectives are skeptical of Braddy's account, however, based on the distance to where Quatisha's body was found.

The possibility that the girl died of injuries suffered during her mother's escape attempt left police and prosecutors considering a felony murder charge instead of first-degree murder. A felony murder is a killing that happens during the commission of another serious crime - in this case, a double kidnapping.

"She was a nice little kid,'' said Washington, Quatisha's uncle. "She used to play a lot.''
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Site Admin

Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 2147

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Ex-Con's Son Died Trying To Rob Woman Reply with quote


Gail Epstein
The Miami Herald,
November 11, 1998

Ex-con Harrel Braddy, charged Tuesday with first-degree murder in the killing of 5-year-old Quatisha Maycock, himself lost a child to violence - but under much different circumstances: His son was shot to death by a social worker he had just robbed.

Braddy's son Noel, 19, took two bullets to the mouth and chest on March 2, 1994, fired by a woman convinced he meant to kill her. It happened in North Miami Beach. Justifiable homicide, police and prosecutors said.

Law officers made the opposite determination regarding career criminal Harrel Braddy, 49, who now stands accused of kidnapping and killing Quatisha in the most heartless of ways: either throwing her bruised and lifeless body into the Everglades off Alligator Alley, where two fishermen found it Monday, or abandoning her to the elements there to die a cruel and certain death.

"He showed no remorse,'' said Miami-Dade homicide detective Fred Suco, lead investigator in the case who spoke with Braddy.

Also kidnapped was Quatisha's mother, Shandelle Maycock, 22, who had met Braddy at church and went out with him a few times. Enraged when she spurned his advances Friday, Braddy allegedly beat and choked Maycock into unconsciousness, threw her and Quatisha into his car and drove north toward Palm Beach County.

It was only the beginning of a chilling chain of events that left Maycock severely beaten, her child dead and an entire family in mourning.

Michael Washington, Maycock's brother, said Tuesday his sister is "still all torn up inside,'' crying every time she thinks of Quatisha and unable to eat because of her physical and emotional trauma.

"She was watching it on TV and she just got real upset,'' he said. "We're trying to keep her mind off it. We want the public to know she's scarred for life, she'll never forget that incident. None of us will forget that incident. This has destroyed her life.''

Braddy apparently was in prison in 1994 when his son, Noel, was killed in an apartment parking lot at 16950 W. Dixie Hwy. Social worker Shelley Greenbaum said she pulled her .38-cal. revolver from the back pocket of her jeans and fired after realizing, "It's not the purse he wants. He's going to kill me.''

Raul Perez, then a North Miami Beach Police detective who worked the shooting, said Noel Braddy was a young man who was clearly influenced by his father, a repeat criminal. The contrasts between Noel Braddy and Quatisha are remarkable, Perez said.

"Children are both lost, but one's future wasn't even touched yet. The little girl had her whole life ahead of her,'' said Perez, now an agent with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. "Noel would have been in prison, maybe bunking with his dad. Look who he had as a father figure.''

At a news conference at Miami-Dade Police headquarters, Assistant State Attorney Abbe Rifkin said she charged Braddy with first-degree murder because - whether or not there was premeditation - investigators believe Quatisha died during the course of a violent felony, her kidnapping by Braddy.

Rifkin said she may present a jury with theories of premeditation, felony murder or both. "We're still evaluating the case to make a determination'' of which theory to use, she said.

Police said Braddy kidnapped mother and child from their Miami-Dade home late Friday after choking Maycock into unconsciousness and threatening to kill her. Later, Maycock jumped from Braddy's moving car while holding Quatisha. That impact could account for the child's fatal injuries: a lacerated liver, fractured skull, blunt force trauma.

An angered Braddy allegedly stopped his car, grabbed Maycock and threw her into the trunk, police said. He put Quatisha back in the car and continued driving north.

Soon, Braddy apparently dumped the unconscious Maycock near the east side of U.S. 27 just across the Broward-Palm Beach county line. He told police he left Maycock for dead, Suco said, and drove off with the girl. Early Saturday, a barefoot, beaten Maycock struggled to the roadside where a motorist found her. Braddy was arrested that day.

After dumping Maycock, Braddy said he drove south and left the child on the roadside along Alligator Alley near mile marker 28, 30 or 33. Braddy - who originally told police he had left the girl alive one to three miles from her mother - took police to the area Sunday.

Brief aerial searches that day were unsuccessful. But Monday, two fishermen found Quatisha's body in the water near mile marker 34.

"All we know is she was found in the water,'' Suco said.

Still unclear: How she got there. Did Braddy lie to police and in fact throw the girl in the water? Did she wander in? Could an animal have dragged her body there?

"We don't know,'' Suco said, adding those questions might never be answered.

Part of the puzzle involves whether Quatisha was alive when Braddy left her. Investigators are hopeful her autopsy will provide more clues, although conclusive evidence is proving difficult to pin down as her body was in the water for two days.

Investigators said preliminary autopsy evidence has to be further analyzed to determine if she was dead when she hit the water or lived for a while.

"More than likely he [Braddy] was correct; she was alive when he left her,'' Suco said. But even if her heart was still pumping, Quatisha was severely injured and abandoned with no ability to care for herself.

The circumstances of her death will be important not only at trial, but during death penalty deliberations should the state pursue death, which it is likely to do.

Braddy also is charged with felony child neglect, for allegedly putting Quatisha in danger of great bodily harm or death.

"At this point it looks like a death penalty case, but we can't make that determination until we go through all the aggravating and mitigating circumstances,'' Rifkin said.

Prosecutors plan to present Braddy's case to a grand jury by Nov. 30.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Site Admin

Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 2147

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Grieving Mom Tells of Fatal Abduction Reply with quote


Gail Epstein
The Miami Herald
November 12, 1998

Stuffed inside a dark car trunk, bruised from being choked unconscious, frantic about her crying 5-year-old daughter, Shandelle Maycock pleaded for her life as soon as her attacker popped the trunk lid.

"Why are you doing this?'' she cried Saturday to Harrel Braddy, a man who until then had shown kindness, but who soon would be an accused child murderer. "I know you're not this type of person. You don't need to do this!''

"You used me,'' snarled Braddy, a married man, angry that Maycock wouldn't date him. "I know I'm going to go to jail for the rest of my life anyway,'' he said, tightening his fingers around her neck until she passed out again.

Police have charged Braddy, a violent career criminal, with trying to kill Maycock on the spot. Looking at her Wednesday, five days later, it's plain that she's lucky to be alive.

Her face is swollen. The whites of her eyes are bright red. Her right ear and neck are oozing and raw, the legacy of her desperate dive out of Braddy's speeding car onto the pavement while holding Quatisha in her arms.

"She was a beautiful little girl,'' Maycock sobbed uncontrollably, grimacing at the pain of moving even an inch. ``Everything I did was for her. I just wanted a better life for her. I loved her with all my heart, and I know she loved me.''

The unsuccessful attempt to escape from Braddy's car left Quatisha with a broken skull, a damaged liver and other blunt trauma. Medical treatment might have helped, but Braddy had other plans, police say.

Police have charged him with first-degree murder for abandoning Quatisha on a roadside off Alligator Alley near mile marker 34. Braddy said she was alive when he left her. Two fisherman found her pajama-clad, bruised body floating in the Everglades Monday.

Recovering slowly at her brother's Opa-locka home, Maycock spoke haltingly about her ordeal. She is taking pain medicine and antibiotics and cannot eat solid foods because it hurts to move her mouth. Everything else hurts, too, and her sadness fills the room with its overwhelming power.

She was quick to thank the two men who rescued her early Saturday as she staggered out of the bushes on U.S. 27 just across the Broward-Palm Beach county line. Braddy has admitted removing her from his car trunk and leaving her for dead near that site, police said, then driving off with Quatisha.

Maycock said some 10 or 20 cars passed by before the men stopped to help her. She was barefoot, weak and bleeding. She was blurry-eyed. Every time she tried to walk, she fell. She's not surprised motorists didn't stop.

"I was staggering, so people probably thought I was drunk, but I don't drink,'' she said. Of her saviors, who said they were from New Jersey, she said: "If it wasn't for them, I don't know what would have happened.''

Maycock, 22, a secretary, said she met Braddy while he was attending church with his wife. He made it clear he was interested in a romantic relationship, but she said she always told him no.

"I always told him, 'I don't see you and me,' " she said. "But all of a sudden he started coming by, asking, 'Do you need anything done?' I said yes. He'd take me to the Laundromat, grocery store, pick Quatisha up from day care, things I needed done.

"I needed that help and support as a single parent,'' she said.

Braddy, a bricklayer, appeared to be a nice person, she said. She had no idea of his violent history or his release from prison early after choking other people.

Friday night, Braddy drove Maycock to pick Quatisha up from her grandmother's house. They went back to Maycock's home in North Dade. The phone rang and Maycock told Braddy he needed to leave because a male friend was coming to visit. It wasn't true, but she wanted him to leave.

"He just jumped me,'' she said. "He was choking me. I was fighting him. I fell to the floor. That's when I fell out. I woke up in his car. My daughter was in the front seat.''

Quatisha, a kindergartner at Parkway Elementary who loved going to school, was crying, "Mommy, Mommy!'' Maycock tried to soothe her, saying, "It's going to be OK.''

Then, Maycock said, "I made plans to jump out. I grabbed her to the back seat. When he saw I was really going to jump, he started speeding.''

Maycock said she prayed the whole time that Braddy would not kill Quatisha. He never said what he planned to do to them, and she couldn't even wrap her mind around the possibility.

"I didn't think he was the type of person to do this to my child,'' she said, crying into a tissue. "You would never even think he was in jail for something like this. He always said how much he liked kids.''

Said Maycock: "I loved my daughter. I did and I still do. This hurts so much, to lose a child. I just want justice for the both of us. It's going to be real hard. Every day I wake up and I think of her, because everything I did I did for her, for a better life.''
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Site Admin

Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 2147

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Grief, Anger Fill Church At Funeral For Slain Girl Reply with quote


Gail Epstein
The Miami Herald
November 18, 1998

The flowers were soft pinks and pastels, the teddy bear small and cuddly. They adorned a pint-size casket holding a child's body - a difficult sight under any circumstances, but even more so Tuesday because of the violent demise suffered by 5-year-old Quatisha Maycock.

Some 250 relatives, friends and supporters gathered to mourn Quatisha's death, allegedly the fault of a violent career criminal who was released from prison early. But they also cried for Jimmy Ryce and all of the other children whose beatings, killings and abuse have left kin and strangers alike wondering, "Why?''

"Too many children have died in 1998!'' Bishop Billy Baskin thundered, whipping the crowd into a chorus of amens. "Too many mothers have lost their children!''

Quatisha's grieving mother, Shandelle Maycock, 22, rode a wheelchair into the cavernous sanctuary of the New Way Fellowship Praise & Worship Center in Carol City. A black hat and veil partially covered her right ear and neck, which were left swollen and raw from the same kidnapping incident that took Quatisha's life Nov. 7.

A relative cradled Maycock's head on her shoulder throughout the service. Other people cooled her with paper fans and supplied tissues for her tears. Still others sang sorrowful gospel songs filled with words of faith.

Patricia Zell, principal of Parkway Elementary, which Quatisha attended for nine weeks, remembered the little girl as "an ideal kindergarten student'' who left a mark on her teacher and schoolmates.

"She was sweet, she was beautiful, she was blossoming, just wanting to learn,'' Zell said. "We know she came from a family that loved her.''

In a prayer read on behalf of Quatisha's family, they showed that love:

"Quatisha, a million times we will need you, a million times we will cry. If love alone could have saved you, you never would have died.''

Harrel Braddy, twice before accused of attempted murder, is charged with killing Quatisha and trying to kill Maycock by repeatedly beating and choking her. Police said Braddy kidnapped the mother and daughter from their Carol City home late Nov. 6 after Maycock rebuffed his romantic advances.

Braddy had befriended Maycock about four months ago, taking her to do laundry, buy groceries and pick up Quatisha from her after-school program. She has said she was unaware of his criminal past.

A motorist from New Jersey found Maycock staggering shoeless near U.S. 27 and the Broward-Palm Beach county line Nov. 7. Two days later, two fishermen found Quatisha's pajama-clad body floating face up in the Everglades, off Alligator Alley in west Broward.

Miami-Dade Police detectives said Braddy admitted leaving Maycock for dead but claimed to have left Quatisha alive near an Alligator Alley bridge.

Had Quatisha died from a birth defect or disease, that would have been bad enough, Baskin preached.

"But the tragedy is she did not die that way,'' he said. "She died in a very tragic and unnecessary way. She died at the hands of someone who should have protected her.''

Claudine Ryce, mother of 9-year-old Jimmy - who was kidnapped and murdered in 1995 - also sent her condolences, saying she and Maycock share a tragic bond: "the loss of our only child.''

"In Quatisha's name, help me make children safe from predators,'' Ryce said in a statement read by Terri Lynn, spokeswoman for the Jimmy Ryce Center for Victims of Predatory Abduction, a child-protection group set up by Claudine and her husband, Don. Juan Carlos Chavez was convicted of Jimmy's murder and is awaiting sentencing.

Baskin urged his listeners to nurture and teach all children so no other youngsters become victims.

"Basketball is shut down over money, but what about the children?'' Baskin boomed, referring to the salary impasse that has frozen the National Basketball Association. "They're worrying about whether the president should be impeached or not, but my question is, what about the children? Is your daughter, son, grandchildren, safe in Miami-Dade County? Until you can say yes, we've got a job to do!''

"Heal the violence in the land, Lord,'' said Bishop Catherine Baskin, Billy Baskin's wife and co-pastor. "Heal the anger. Heal the wickedness in the land, Lord.''
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Site Admin

Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 2147

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Man Indicted In Girls' Kidnap-Slaying Reply with quote


The Miami Herald
November 26, 1998

A Miami-Dade grand jury has indicted Harell Franklin Braddy for the kidnap and murder of Quatisha Maycock, 5, and the kidnapping of her mother, Shandelle Maycock, the state attorney's office announced Wednesday.

Braddy, 49, will be arraigned Monday before Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Marc Schumacher on charges of first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder, two counts of kidnapping, burglary with assault, child neglect and attempted escape.

If convicted of first-degree murder, Braddy would face a mandatory punishment of life in prison or the electric chair.

Police say Braddy kidnapped the mother and daughter from their Carol City home late Nov. 6 after Maycock rebuffed his romantic advances. A motorist found Maycock staggering, beaten and shoeless, along a roadside near the Broward-Palm Beach County line Nov. 7.

Two days later, two fishermen found the pajama-clad body of the little girl floating in the Everglades, off Alligator Alley in West Broward County.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Site Admin

Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 2147

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Full Trial Coverage Reply with quote

Full trial coverage of Quatisha's case can be found in out "Trial Watch" forum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Site Admin

Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 2147

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: For abducted mother and daughter, a long quest for justice Reply with quote

For abducted mother and daughter, a long quest for justice

By Kelli Kennedy
Associated Press

MIAMI - Shandelle Maycock woke up disoriented and bleeding on a bed of matted grass amid endless walls of towering sugarcane stalks.

The 22-year-old fingered a sticky gash on her right foot and winced, her eyes darting all around. Her vision was still blurry from last night's struggle, but she could make out a strip of water and cars passing on the other side. Where had he left her?

Lightning quick memories flashed through her head, the big man choking her, throwing her in the trunk of his car, driving for what seemed like hundreds of miles.

Maycock stumbled to her feet and collapsed, too weak to walk. She prayed. She took a few steps and fell again.

Her thin frame was covered in bug bites and scratches, but barefoot and groggy, she finally made it to the road. She struggled to wave her arms to get drivers' attention.

She had to get help.

She kept thinking of her 5-year-old daughter, her little cherub face.

The man had kidnapped them both. He had left Maycock for dead in the cane fields. But what had he done with her little girl?

Where was Candy?


Maycock liked being a receptionist, and her office wasn't far from the small efficiency she rented. The job didn't pay much, but she had learned how to get by on almost nothing after her family kicked her out. They'd been angry when she'd told them she was pregnant at 16 by a much older, married man.

Maycock named her daughter Quatisha, but called her Candy from the start. Maycock had enrolled in a school for pregnant mothers and earned a high school diploma. Her job paid a meager salary, leaving nothing for extras, even a car.

She often hitched a ride from someone to pick up Candy from a caretaker's house. Lately it was Harrel Braddy, a nice man she'd met through a friend. She sometimes went to church with his wife. The 49-year-old also gave her rides to the store or the Laundromat.

But sometimes he showed up at her home unannounced. Once, Braddy had playfully put his hand between her legs during a visit. She pulled a knife and he'd apologized, swearing it would never happen again. So Maycock had forgiven him. That was that, she thought.

Then, unexpectedly one Friday night, he pulled into her driveway, saying he had to talk to her. Candy slept as Maycock cleaned up around the house, hoping Braddy would leave soon. It had been a long week and she wanted some time alone. Finally, she asked him to leave, lying that she was expecting company.

Braddy bolted from the chair, grabbing Maycock in a chokehold. He pinned her to the floor and tightened his grip around her neck.

She tried to fight back, kicking and scratching at him - but Braddy's steel grip wouldn't release. He was more than 6 feet tall, and the past 13 years of lifting weights in prison had given his forearms and biceps machine-like strength.


The car was speeding along when Maycock awoke in the back seat. She rubbed her throbbing neck and saw Candy sitting in the front next to Braddy. She was awake and quiet. Her face was afraid.

Maybe he'll just let us go, Maycock thought. But she worried he had other plans.

Braddy had been so enraged, so violent. She didn't know he had only been out of prison for about 17 months; he'd served time for charges including attempted murder and armed robbery.

Maycock had been certain Braddy was going to kill her on the floor of her home. Now she feared he was planning to kill her somewhere else. And maybe her daughter.

They had to escape.

She glanced out the window. They weren't far from her neighborhood. It was after 11, and the road was almost empty.

Maycock reached into the front seat and grabbed Candy's arm, struggling to pull the little girl onto her lap.

She whispered her plan: They were going to jump.

"Don't do it," Braddy warned and pressed on the accelerator.

"Mommy, Mommy. No," Candy cried.

"Shh. It's OK," Maycock said, clutching her daughter to her chest and opening the door. Candy's protests rang in her ears as they lunged forward.

She tried to hang on to Candy, but the impact was hard. They flew apart.

On the median, blood trickled from a deep gash on Maycock's right foot, and her collarbone ached.

"Mommy, Mommy," Candy cried and limped toward her.

But Braddy stopped the car and ran back to them, hustling Candy to the front seat again. He grabbed Maycock roughly by the arm and shoved her toward the back door, then suddenly changed his mind.

Instead, he opened the trunk and forced her inside.

She heard Braddy tell Candy, "I'm gonna take y'all home."

In the trunk's blackness as the car began to move, she prayed that might be true. God, please don't let me die, she said. Please keep my daughter safe. Please God.

A long ride on a highway followed, and then the car lurched to a stop.

"Why are you doing this," Maycock sobbed as Braddy opened the trunk.

"You used me," he said.

"No, I just needed a ride."

"I should kill you," Braddy yelled, throwing her on the ground. Then he wrapped his big bear hands around her neck again and choked her until she stopped moving.

Now he had to figure out what to do with the child. The little girl could identify him.


An avid hunter and fishermen, Braddy was familiar with The Everglades. He knew about its gators, brown water snakes and snail kites, and how they could make a body disappear.

He sped toward the highway called Alligator Alley.

He'd laid brick on a toll plaza there. Just west of the toll were bridges that dipped right into the gator-infested waters. They were sure to be deserted this time of night.

When Braddy stopped at the bridge near Mile Marker 34, a choir of crickets and frogs roared like an airplane engine. Fish plopped in the water. Lily pads rustled.

Something was lurking there.

Braddy threw Candy onto the rocks with a thud.

As he drove away, the child - her skull fractured - lay bleeding and alone, unconscious but still alive.


Less than twenty-four hours later, Harrel Braddy was in police custody. Across the barren interrogation room, the homicide detectives stared at him and he stared back. It had been a long night already.

Braddy broke the silence this time.

"Moses was an adulterer and John who was Jesus' relative was a murderer," he said. "But that didn't make them bad men."

Braddy denied he had picked up Shandelle and Candy Maycock the previous night.

Detective Fernando Suco stood mute. His mind raged with questions: Was Candy Maycock still alive? How long could a 5-year-old survive on her own?

Suco is stocky and bald with a big heart, straight out of a TV crime series. Through the night, he and Detective Otis Chambers had taken turns, pumping the suspect with questions, getting no answers. Braddy rested his head on the table during breaks.

But he held to his story. He'd been home all night. His family was out.

But other Miami-Dade detectives had talked to Cyteria Braddy and their stories didn't match. She and the children had been home all night. Her husband was the one missing.

Strange noises coming from the carport had woken her before dawn, she said. Her husband was cleaning a rented car. The washing machine was humming.

Another officer had driven a few hours north to the hospital where a disoriented Shandelle Maycock was recovering. She told him what Braddy had done.

Nearly 50 searchers were now swarming the area where he'd left her - the cane fields and an adjacent dirt road and drainage canal - confident that Candy had to be somewhere nearby.

But the little girl was in a different county, miles away.

Suco and his crew were exhausted. They headed to McDonald's for breakfast, leaving Braddy alone in the room.

Fourteen years earlier, Braddy had choked a Miami-Dade courthouse guard, fracturing the man's larynx. He'd handcuffed the guard to a holding cell, then bolted. Captured, he'd disarmed two deputies at the hospital where they took him and he escaped again. He was gone for more than a month before being caught in Georgia.

Now, Braddy stood on the chair, his shoes off. He pressed his hands against the air conditioning grate.

He'd bent the metal grate nearly in half when Suco swung the door open. Braddy jumped to the floor.


"I'll take you to her," Braddy said.


Now among the searchers at the cane field, Braddy swore again he'd left the girl here with her mother. "I could see her in my headlights when I was pulling away," Braddy said.

Investigators worked on Braddy, but nothing brought the truth. Hours passed.

Finally Detective Pat Diaz took over, sharing part of his sandwich with Braddy.

"I've been down this road before," he told Braddy, remembering another missing child case. "She's not here, is she?"

There was no telling why Braddy finally decided to tell the truth.

"No, she's not," Braddy said. He'd left Candy Maycock in the swamp off Alligator Alley.

It was now late afternoon. The little girl had been missing for nearly 40 hours.


The unmarked patrol car swept past the toll plaza on Alligator Alley, stopping near Mile Marker 34.

"Check under the lily pads. I left her out here. She was alive," Braddy said.

But he had not left the girl at the bridge but off a boat ramp about half a mile away.

"I truly believe he was trying to give enough time so the little girl would disappear," Suco said. "In his mind, no body, no charges"

The search spanned several miles before investigators had to quit for the night. Canine units, divers and helicopters would be mobilized in the morning.

But they didn't need to: Around 7 a.m. they got a call.

A fisherman had found Candy's body floating in the water.


Shandelle Maycock sobbed on her bed, tears streaking past cuts on her face.

Her only child gone.

"I want justice for us," she said then. But justice would take nearly nine years.

Braddy slowed the legal process - by firing lawyer after lawyer, then representing himself, then back to lawyers.

He finally walked into court for trial this July.

Called to testify, Maycock sobbed when asked how old her daughter was. Recounting the night for the jury, she felt a familiar ache creeping through her collarbone. She remembered his big hands wrapped around her neck.

The jury deliberated just two hours before finding Braddy guilty of seven charges, including first-degree murder, attempted murder and kidnapping. A judge sentenced him to death last week.


Today, a collage of Candy is the only decoration on the bare white walls of the room Maycock rents: Photos of the little girl getting a bath, dressed in a bunny suit for Halloween, smiling for her school picture. A beige funeral program is positioned in the middle.

"I have to talk to a tombstone," says Maycock. "I can't ever see her smile. She can't ever give me grandkids."

She hasn't married, but dreams of having a family. She always wanted three children.

"He took away the only person that I knew really loved me besides God."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic Forum Index -> More Murdered Children Forums All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group